Ancoats Branch
1872-1960
Archives
Total copies: 1
Ancoats Branch Library opened on 7 Dec 1857 initially established in a shop at 190 Great Ancoats Street. In Sep 1867 a purpose built Library was opened in Every Street Ancoats. The building was designed by Alfred Waterhouse and contained a newsroom and library with shelves for 17,000 books. In 1878 an upstairs room was converted into a boy's reading room, the first of its kind in Manchester. When alterations were made to the library in c.1920 to make the stock more open access no structural alterations were made. The Library closed 31 March 1960. See also M740/2/8/2/275.
Title:
Ancoats Branch
Date of work:
1872-1960
Reference number:
GB127.M740/9/2
Level of description:
Part of:
Sub-fonds: Branches (GB127.M740/9)
Includes:
Access restrictions:
UnrestrictedThis material is stored off site and we require 2 weeks' notice in order to retrieve it.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
Manchester Archives and Local Studies
Language:
English
Record number:
7282327