Cheetham Branch
1909-1959
Archives
Total copies: 1
The first library for Cheetham and the fifth branch library for the city was opened in the buildings of an former school on 29 Jan 1872, located at 80 York Street, Cheetham. Almost immediately the library accommodation proved inadequate for the population of the area and within four years the foundation stone for a new purpose built library had been laid on the 11 May 1876. The formal opening of the new library building in York Street, Cheetham took place on 11 Feb 1878. It was built by John Thompson, contractor, of Cheethan Hill, from designs of Messrs Barker and Ellis, architects, Cooper Street (see Manchester Guardian, 8 Feb 1878, p.6). A boys room was added in the basement Dec 1883. In 1923 plans were made for the alteration of the library to allow open access to the books. By 1938 the population of the area had reduced considerably and the library was not situated in the best location to serve the remaining inhabitants. In c.1942 the Cheetham Hill Library was closed and the premises used as a British Restaurant. Library provision for the area was carried on from the temporary premises at 86-88 Heywood Street which was opened in Jan 1943. Due to the termination of the lease of 86 Heywood Street and a move towards the use of Crumpsall Library by the local population, Cheetham Library closed on 31 Mar 1956. The travelling library replaced the library in the Cheetham area.
See also M740/2/8/2/282-3
Related Material:See also M740/2/8/2/282-3 and M740/2/15/90 for plans
Title:
Cheetham Branch
Date of work:
1909-1959
Reference number:
GB127.M740/9/12
Level of description:
Part of:
Sub-fonds: Branches (GB127.M740/9)
Includes:
Access restrictions:
UnrestrictedThis material is stored off site and we require 2 weeks' notice in order to retrieve it.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
Manchester Archives and Local Studies
Language:
English
Record number:
7282413