Skip to main content
Astley, St. Stephen
Astley, St. Stephen
1760-2000
Archives
Find it!
Burial and Baptismal Register 1760-1812; Baptism Registers 1813-1998; Marriage Registers 1843-1992; Burial Registers 1813-1926; Registers of Confirmaions 1928-1999; Consecration deed for Astley Chapel 1631Related Material:There are several miscellaneous references to the church in Archdeacon John Rushton's notes accompanying his Visitation Returns, 1845. (MSf942.72 R121 vol.35), including a note that registers prior to 1760 were taken to the Dam House for safety in 1760 during the rebuilding of the church and never returned.A history of the church can be found in King, Rev. William 'Bells and Pomegranates: a village story through three centuries' (Upjohn and Bottomley, printer, Littleborough, 1968).Place:/Astley/Lancashire/England
Title:
Astley, St. Stephen
Date of work:
1760-2000
Reference number:
GB127.L50
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
St. Stephen's chapel in the parish of Leigh was founded by Adam Mort of Dam House, Tyldesley, gent. and consecrated in 1631. The old chapel was replaced in 1760 and the new building enlarged in 1834, 1842 and 1847. The township of Astley was formed into a district chapelry, 10 June 1843, and the benefice declared a vicarage, 18 June 1867. Burnt down 1961, new church consecrated 1968
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
General notes:
Old Accession Number: 2000/45 2002/48
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7182111
Find it!
0