Skip to main content
Records of Trafford Park Development Corporation
Records of Trafford Park Development Corporation
1987-1998
Archives
Find it!
This material consists of publicity material of Trafford Park Development CorporationPlace:/Trafford Park/Davyhulme/Eccles/Lancashire/England/Greater Manchester/England
Title:
Records of Trafford Park Development Corporation
Date of work:
1987-1998
Reference number:
GB124.A.TPDC
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The Trafford Park Estate was established in 1896, two years after the opening of the Manchester Ship Canal. The potential that the shipping area offered was recognised by the Trafford Park Syndicate who purchased the land from the de Trafford family. The area was transformed and strong rail links were introduced to encourage investment from big companies. This had the desired effect and within the first twenty years, companies such as British Westinghouse, the American Car and Foundry Company, Taylor Brothers Steel Works, Brooke Bond Foods and the Hovis Company had all made Trafford Park their home. Trafford Park was also the first place of Ford production outside of the U.S.A. and saw the making of the Model 'T' in 1911. Throughout the First World War Trafford Park continued to thrive and even prospered during the depression of the 1930s. New firms continued to invest and by 1945 it was estimated that 75,000 people were employed there. During World War Two Trafford Park became essential to the War effort as many firms turned over to the production of munitions. However, following the war years there began a decline in traditional industry and many of the major companies left Trafford Park. During the 1970s and early 1980s actions were taken to try and halt the decline of the area. This accumulated in the Trafford Park Development Corporation being established in February 1987. Trafford Park Development Corporation was set up, by the government, with the aim of regenerating the Trafford Park urban development area. The challenge was to transform the outdated, semi- derelict industrial estate into a modern and thriving business location where the world's leading companies would want to invest. The regeneration involved extending the transport infrastructure of the area, a £50 million environmental improvement programme and the construction of the Trafford Centre at Dumplington. The key development areas included Wharfside, Trafford Park Village, Northbank Industrial Park and Hadfield Street. Over a period of eleven years of regeneration, Trafford Park Development Corporation attracted over 1,000 companies, 28,299 new jobs and £1.759 billion of private sector investment.
Source:
Received from Trafford Park Development Corporation, 20 May 1998, accession number 1667. Officially presented under Section 3(6) of the Public Records Act by the Homes & Communities Agency in September 2015.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
General notes:
Arrangement:The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received.
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7182271
Find it!
0