Skip to main content
Manchester Royal Eye Hospital
Manchester Royal Eye Hospital
1897-1982
Archives
Find it!
Reception Journals, including Military Services, 1939-1964, Private Patients Registers 1943-1978, In Patients Reports Registers 1939-1984, Operation Registers 1942-1963, In Patients Notes 1901-1966, Nursing Staff Records 1897-1965, Administrators' Files 1962-1982Place:/Manchester/Manchester/Lancashire/England
Title:
Manchester Royal Eye Hospital
Date of work:
1897-1982
Reference number:
GB124.A10
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The decision to found the Manchester Eye Hospital was taken on 21st October 1814. Throughout the 19th century the hospital operated from various premises in central Manchester until Manchester Royal Infirmary was approached in 1905 about the purchase of some land they had acquired. At first, this approach was refused but after second thoughts MRI sold 1600 sq yards for £2,500 subject to the MRI of being relieved of the cost of supplying beds and that the Eye Hospital providing training for Manchester University medical students. It was necessary that the building should be ready by the time the new infirmary buildings were erected. A Special extension committee ran from 1905 and secured funding for £20000. By September 1906 the first contract was let. There was a desirability for hiring nurses with ophthalmic training as well as experience in a general hospital.. When nurses left for training in a general hospital they were given priority should they wish to return. Out patients department at John Street, a former site of the hospital prior to moving to Oxford Road. During WW1 49 beds were set aside for the military. During that time they treated 1,831 army inpatients and 14,000 outpatients. 415 operations wre performed. John Street partly closed during the Great War due to staff shortages (doctors called up in RAMC). John Street finally closed in 1920 after 53 years on the site. The hospital acquired further property after World War One with a new outpatients opening in converted houses opposite the hospital. In 1935 an orthoptics department opened to treat squints. Such was the demand that local authorities paid for children to be treated. By 1937 10,509 people had passed through. During the blitz of 1940 the hospital escaped serious damage from air raids. The hospital served as a clearing station and was closed to outpatients who transferred to Withington. In 1941 it reopened. On creation of the NHS in 1948 the board of management became the committee of management. Between 1948 and 1974 it came under the management of United Manchester Hospitals, a major grouping of hospitals such as Manchester Royal Infirmary and the St. Mary' Hospital. In 1974 it became part of Manchester Central District Health Authority.
Source:
Deposited on two occasions 12 Sept 1985 (accession number 1222) and 8th Jul 1987 (accession number 1295)
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
General notes:
Arrangement:These records are arranged by series of patient registers. There is one series that is arranged by the name of the consultant. All are chronological.
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7182433
Find it!
0