Skip to main content
South Lancashire Tramways Company
South Lancashire Tramways Company
South Lancashire Tramways Company1900-1955
Archives
Find it!
Minutes of the South Lancashire Tramways Company
Title:
South Lancashire Tramways Company
Date of work:
1900-1955
Reference number:
GB124.B.SLT
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
South Lancashire Tramways was a system of electric tramways in south Lancashire authorised by the South Lancashire Tramways Act of 1900. The South Lancashire Tramways Company was authorised by the act to build over 62 miles of track to serve the towns between St Helens, Swinton, Westhoughton and Hulton Lane where the Bolton Corporation System ended. The company had difficulty raising capital and at the end of November 1900 its shares were acquired by the South Lancashire Electric Traction and Power Company. It also acquired the shares of the Lancashire Light Railways Company and the South Lancashire Electric Supply Company. Construction began in late 1901 and in October 1902 the first section from Lowton through Leigh and Atherton to Four Lane Ends at Over Hulton opened. Atherton became the centre of the system and the tram sheds, power station and offices were built on the north side of Leigh Road at Howe Bridge.
Source:
This archive was acquired from an unknown source
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Topics:
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7182837
Find it!
0