Skip to main content
Ashworth, St. James
Ashworth, St. James
1813-1958
Archives
Find it!
Records of the Incumbent including: baptism registers 1813-1958; marriage registers 1824-1835; burial registers 1813-1913; registers of services 1917-1950, grave register 1853-1942; income 1877-1915; Bishop's visitation 1906. Churchwardens' records including: accounts 1864-1940; Vestry minutes 1864-1870; pew rents 1860-1873; faculty 1935. Parochial Church Council minutes 1921-1945; annual church meetings minutes 1920-1926. Church of England Men's Society minutes 1920-1921. Sunday School attendance register 1909-1910. Day School attendance register 1846-1858Related Material:References to Ashworth are included in Middleton churchwardens' accounts 1647-1679 (GB127.L56). Banns registers and confirmation registers not deposited.The article 'Ashworth Chapel' by Henry Fishwick is published in the Transaction of Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society 20 (1902) pp.29-40Place:/Ashworth/Middleton/Lancashire/England
Title:
Ashworth, St. James
Date of work:
1813-1958
Reference number:
GB127.L101
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
Ashworth was an ancient chapelry in the parish of Middleton. The Church was built during the reign of Henry VII, rebuilt in 1789 and enlarged in 1837. It was assigned the township of Ashworth, from the parish of Middleton, by Order in Council 17 May 1867 (London Gazette, 21 May 1867). In 1849 an Order in Council, 28 January (London Gazette, 1 February 1949), united the benefices of St Paul, Norden and St James, Ashworth, but the parishes were to remain distinct.
Source:
These records were transferred to the Library as the Diocesan Record Office, from Lancashire Record Office, in July 1982.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7182983
Find it!
0