Skip to main content
Charlestown, St. George, Salford
Charlestown, St. George, Salford
1854-1986
Archives
Find it!
Records of the Incumbent including: baptism registers 1854-1970; marriage registers 1860-1967; banns books 1939-1976; registers of services 1927-1984; parish magazines 1901-1905, June 1929; papers relating to proposals for future of Church c1980-1986.Records of the Churchwardens: faculties 1984-1986; repairs to the Church 1982-1984; insurance papers 1953-1984; sale of fittings 1984.Records of the Parochial Church Council including: minutes 1935-1966; annual parochial meeting minutes 1909-1966; annual statements of accounts 1977, 1982; electoral rolls c1930-1964; return of Church membership 1984-1985Sunday School insurance policies 1931, 1960. Day School insurance policies 1931, 1955, 1966Related Material:Confirmation registers not depositedPlace:/Charlestown/Pendleton/Eccles/Lancashire/EnglandSalford Metropolitan District/Greater Manchester/England
Title:
Charlestown, St. George, Salford
Date of work:
1854-1986
Reference number:
GB127.L158
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
St. George's church was consecrated on 2 Oct. 1858. It was assigned a District from the parish of Eccles by Order in Council 7 Mar. 1860, (London Gazette, 10 March 1860). In 1888 the church of St Barnabas, Pendleton, was assigned a District from St George's by Order in Council, 17 March (London Gazette, 20 March 1888). Part of the parish was transferred to the new benefice of St Aidan's, Lower Kersal, by Order in Council 22 March 1972, (London Gazette, 28 March). St. Barnabas's, Pendleton was united with St George's by Order in Council, 16 July 1973, (London Gazette, 20 July 1973) as St George with St Barnabas, Charlestown, St George's became the parish church of the united parish. In 1986 St George's church was made redundant and the last service there was held on 12th October. Services were then held in St Sebastian's R. C. Church. Church closed 2006.
Source:
The following records were deposited in the Library as Diocesan Record Office in November 1986 by Rev M P Chaffey. Additional deposit by Rev Dr C S Ford in March 2000 (Accession 2000/41)
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7183998
Find it!
0