Skip to main content
Ashton under Lyne, St. James The Apostle
Ashton under Lyne, St. James The Apostle
1863-1978
Archives
Find it!
Records of the Incumbent including: baptism registers 1863-1936; marriage registers 1866-1933; banns books 1866-1967; registers of services 1874-1977. Records of the Churchwardens: ledgers 1895-1940; collections 1887-1972; repairs to Church 1931-1937; inventories 1877 and c1910. Records of the Vestry: minutes and annual parish accounts 1899-1969.Records of the Church Council, later Parochial Church Council: minutes of the Church Council, later Central Sub-Committee, 1909-1947; Parochial Church Council Minutes 1920-1983; Bazaar Committee minutes 1894-1898; Council members 1940, 1953-1971; electoral rolls c1920-1961.Records of Societies: Women's Class minutes 1901-1970 and accounts 1953-1971; Men's Class accounts 1928-1966; Ashton under Lyne Church of England. Sunday School Accounts 1897; Ashton under Lyne Auxiliary of the British and Foreign Bible Society minutes 1947-1954.Records of the Sunday School: teachers minutes 1872-1880; attendance registers 1964-1987. Records of the Day Schools: managers' minutes 1945-1954; Hurst Brook log books 1870-1959.Records of Queen Victoria Memorial Church, Curzon Road, including: registers of services 1902-1962; minutes of the Church Council 1909-1965; accounts 1943-1978; contributors to envelope scheme 1942-1956; repairs the Church 1954-1964. Records of Emmanuel Church, Smallshaw: registers of services 1921-1943; congregation committee minutes 1926-1940; Sunday School Teacher minutes 1927-1940; miscellaneous Sunday School papers 1929-1935; contributors to envelope scheme 1941-1955Related Material:Confirmation registers and faculties not deposited.The Archives Department also has among the papers of Archdeacon John Rushton a copy letter from Oldham Whittaker about his donation for a new church at Hurst Brook, Oct. 1861 and a newspaper cutting about the consecration (MSf 942.72 R121 vol. 2 page 291).The publication 'Parish Church of the St. James the Apostle, Ashton-under-Lyne centenary year' was published by the church in 1965. Tameside Local Studies and Archives may have a copy of this.Place:/Ashton under Lyne/Ashton under Lyne/Lancashire/EnglandTameside Metropolitan Borough/Greater Manchester/England
Title:
Ashton under Lyne, St. James The Apostle
Date of work:
1863-1978
Reference number:
GB127.L163
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
Rev Thomas Baker Dixon, curate of Christ Church, started a church in 1863 in an iron warehouse in Cowhill Lane. The first service was held on 2 August 1863. Consecrated 28 December 1865. Designed by G. Shaw. A District was assigned to this church by Order in Council, 11 June 1866, (London Gazette, 12 June) from Christ Church, Ashton, St. Michael's, Ashton and St John's, Hurst. Land for a new church was given by the Earl of Stamford and the cost of building was borne by Oldham Whittaker, a local millowner. The new church was consecrated on 28 December 1865, and Rev. T. B. Dixon remained vicar until 1908. A Mission Church, known as Queen Victoria Memorial Church, was opened on 9 October 1902 in Curzon Rd., and another, Emmanuel Church, Smallshaw, held its first service on 9 November 1921. The boundaries of the parish with St John's, Hurst, were altered slightly by Pastoral Order, 12 March 1974.
Source:
These records were deposited in the Library as Diocesan Record Office in May 1987 by Rev S D Parsons.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7184095
Find it!
0