Skip to main content
Atherton, St. John the Baptist
Atherton, St. John the Baptist
1778-1985
Archives
Find it!
Records of Incumbent 1778-1985 : Baptisms, 1778-1822, Burials, 1778-1819 1778-1822; Baptism Registers 1813-1923, 1969-1982; Marriage Registers 185 3-1949, 1960-1976; Burial Registers 1813-1857, 1950-1959; Banns Books 1965-1985; Confirmation Registers 1948-1985; Confirmation Class Register 1968-1970; Index of Weddings 1958-1964; History 1980Records of Records of Churchwardens 1879-1978 : Papers relating to Clergy 1909; Annual Statements of Accounts 1936-1949; Offertories 1968-1978; Faculties 193 7-1977; Wording of Inscribed Tablet 1879-1892; Memorial Chapel 1918-1919; High Altar 1923; Inventory not datedRecords of the Parochial Church Council 1958-1982 ; Analysed Accounts 1968-1982; Gift Day Subscribers 1958-1972Records of St. James's Free Church of England : Baptism Register 1871-1889Related Material:The Archives Section also has Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation Papers for the church and school,1845 (Ms f 942.72 R121 volume 34),which includes extracts from the consecration deeds of 1723 and 1814, and letters about the attempt to obtain Harrison's chapel for the church, 1847; and an article on Chowbent Chapel, by J.J. Wright, in The Seed Sower.June 1903.For a history of the church see Rex Hartley's 'The story of Atherton Parish Church' (our ref L177/1/11).Place:/Atherton/Lancashire/England
Title:
Atherton, St. John the Baptist
Date of work:
1778-1985
Reference number:
GB127.L177
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The first church of St. John the Baptist, Chowbent, was consecrated on 26 November 1723. This building had been erected inthe mid 17th century by John Atherton, Esquire, and used by the Presbyterians until 1720. In 1810 it was replaced by a larger building,which was consecrated on 5 October 1814. This was demolished in 1877 and the foundation stone of a new church laid the following year. It was consecrated on 27 December 1879, though the building was not completed until 1892. It was designed by Paley and Austin. A District was assigned by Order in Council, 11 January 1859 (London 18 January 1859), from the parish of Leigh. Part of the parish was transferred to St. Michael and All Angels, Howe Bridge, by Order in Council, 29 June 1878,(London Gazette. 9 July) and part was transferred to St. Anne, Hindsford, by Order in Council, 26 June 1 884,(London Gazette, 11 July).
Source:
The records were deposited in the Library as Diocesan Record Office in January 1989, by Rev. W. Baldwin, with an additional deposit in July 1997 (Accession Number 1997/37)
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7184355
Find it!
0