Skip to main content
Pendleton, St. Thomas
Pendleton, St. Thomas
1772-1970
Archives
Find it!
Records of the Incumbent including : Baptism and Burial Register, 1776-1812; Baptism Registers, 1813-1969; Baptisms 1970-1990 are entered in the Brindle Heath St. Anne baptism register (MFPR 1237); Marriage Registers, 1839-1991; Burial Registers, 1813-1968; Banns Book, 1932-1999: Registers Confirmations 1943-1970: Registers of Services 1926-1987Records of Churchwardens & Vestry including : Vestry Minutes, 1772-1863, and Records of Churchwardens' Accounts, 1777-1863; Accounts and Vestry Minutes 1884-1913Records of the Parochial Church Council including Minutes 1947-1989Related Material:The Archives Department also has accounts for building and opening the church, 1767-1810 (Ref GB127.M13/5/2);. accounts for distributing money to the sick and needy, 1823-1825 (MISC/887); appointments of assistant curate, 1837 (Ref GB127.M39/26/2/1-4); bills for advice relating to repairs, 1842, (Ref GB127.L49/2/13); Archdeacon Rushton's Visitation Papers, 1846 (Msf 942.72 R121 vol.24).Place:/Pendleton/Lancashire/England
Title:
Pendleton, St. Thomas
Date of work:
1772-1970
Reference number:
GB127.L186
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
St. Thomas's was built at the expense of Samuel Brierley of Pendleton, Thomas Fletcher of Manchester and his heir, Robert Baxter of Manchester, as a chapelry within the parish of Eccles. The foundation stone was laid in 1767, the church erected in 1772-1773, and it was consecrated on 26 July 1776. It was rebuilt in 1829 and the new church consecrated on 7 October 1831. St. Thomas's was assigned a District from Eccles parish by Order in Council, 7 August 1865 (London Gazette 8 August 1865). More of Eccles was transferred to St. Thomas's by Order in Council, 3 February 1866, (London Gazette, 6 February 1866. By Order in Council, 20 October 1902 (London Gazette 24 October 1902) part of St. Thomas's was assigned to the new St. Ambrose, Pendleton. In 1903 by Order in Council 16 February (London Gazette 17 February) the boundaries with St. Luke's Weaste, were altered. In 1923 a District was assigned to St. Anne, Brindle Heath, from St. Thomas's by Order in Council, 16 April 1923. (London Gazette, 17 April). By Bishop's Orders 3 November 1953, (London Gazette, 17 November), and 22 June 1956, (London Gazette, 29 June), St. Thomas's, Pendleton and St. Anne's, Brindle Heath, were held in plurality. The two parishes were united as St. Thomas, Pendleton, by Order in Council, 27 October 1971, (London Gazette 28 October), and St. Thomas's became the parish church of the united benefice.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
General notes:
Old Accession Number: 2000/16
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7184533
Find it!
0