Skip to main content
Salford, Christ Church
Salford, Christ Church
1831-1963
Archives
Find it!
Records of the Incumbent including : Baptism Registers 1831-1963; Marriage Registers 1838-1956; Marriage Registers. Mission of the Good Shepherd, Parish of Christ Church 1956-1963; Burial Register 1831-1897 [very few entries after 1857]Related Material:Other records in the Archives Section are:- Deed of Pew 103, 1831 (L880); Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation Papers for the church and school, 25February 1846, which include engravings of the church, notes on the clergy and the Sermon preached by John Bird Sumner, Bishop of Chester, at the consecration, 4 November 1831 (MSf 942.72 R121 vol .48), papers re demolition of church and use of site as a car park, 1957-1973 (L162/2)Place:/Salford/Manchester/Lancashire/England
Title:
Salford, Christ Church
Date of work:
1831-1963
Reference number:
GB127.L189
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The foundation stone of Christ Church was laid on 28 May 1830, and the church consecrated on 4 November 1831. Hugh Stowell was its first incumbent and he was later buried there, 13 October 1865. A District was assigned from the parish of Manchester, by Bishops Instruments, 17 October 1832 and 7 November 1842. By Order in Council, 6 July 1846, (London Gazette, 17 July 1846), part was transferred to St. Paul's Paddington. The boundaries were confirmed by Order in Council, 31 July 1858, (London Gazette, 13 August 1858). By Order in Council 16 May 1871, (London Gazette, 19 May 1871), part of the parish was assigned to the Stowell Memorial Church. In 1902 by Order in Council, 20 October (London Gazette, 24 October) part was assigned to St. Ambrose, Pendleton. The church ceased to be used in 1956 and was demolished. The Mission of the Good Shepherd was used until 1963. By Order in Council, 18 September 1965, (London Gazette, 21 September 1965) Christ Church, Salford and St. Paul, Paddington were united as St. Paul with Christ Church.
Source:
The following records were deposited in the Library as Diocesan Record Office in December 1991, by Canon D.S.C. Wyatt.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7184582
Find it!
0