Skip to main content
Leigh, St. Mary the Virgin
Leigh, St. Mary the Virgin
1560-1968
Archives
Find it!
Records of the Incumbent including : Baptisms, 1560-1781, Marriages, 1560-1753, 1758-1759, Burials, 1560-1648, 1661-1781; Baptisms and Burials, 1782-1797; Baptism Registers, 1839-1913; Marriage Registers, 1754-1758, 1759-1812, 1837-1901; Burial Registers, 1837-1855; Copy Register of Baptisms, 1798-1800; Copies of Astley Registers, 1841-1842; Copies of Atherton Registers, 1848; Registers of Services, 1919-1968; Service Sheets, n.d.Charities : List of Charitable Bequests, 1655-1838Related Material:The Archives Section also has Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation Returns for the church and school, October 1845, which include notes on the church and clergy, plan of the church, n.d. (40 x 25 cms.), printed annual accounts, 1848, 1860 and 1862, lithograph, of the church, n.d., printed letters from Rev. Irvine about transferring the bread and wine from the Vestry to the Table, 1845, 'the bells question', 1846, dispute with Records of Churchwardens over the offertories, 1845, and a Review of a Pamphlet by R.E. Girdlestone... for Additional Curates Society, 1850 (MSf 942.72 R121 vol.35); coats of arms in Leigh church, 1568-1598 (Ref GB127.L1/36/1); bequest of a pew, 1833 (Ref GB127.L1/34/30); An Account of ... Cursing by Bell, Book and Candle.. in the Parish Church of Leigh, on Sunday 4 December 1474, by J.P. Earwaker, 1878 (Ref GB127.L1/59/3/50); letters from Austin and Paley, architects, about Leigh church, 1904 (Ref GB127.L1/58/3/15-17); History of Leigh Parish Church, by John Rogan, 20thc. (Ref GB127. L147/3/23/42). Place:/Leigh/Lancashire/England
Title:
Leigh, St. Mary the Virgin
Date of work:
1560-1968
Reference number:
GB127.L211
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The registers of St. Mary's date back to 1560, but the church was in existence long before that time. Vicars' names are known back to the 15th century. The foundation stone of a new church was laid on 15 May 1871 and it was consecrated on 12 February 1873. The ancient parish comprised the townships of Westleigh, Pennington, Bedford, Atherton, Astley, and Tyldesley cum Shackerley. The registers include baptisms, 1724-1842, marriages, 1728-1753 and burials, 1724-1842 at Astley ; baptisms, 1724-1849, marriages, 1724-1750 and burials, 1724-1846 at Atherton; baptisms at Ellenbrook, Ca 1744-1773; and baptisms, 1769-1776, and burials, 1769-1776 at Peel. The township of Tyldesley cum Shackerley was assigned as a District to St. George, Tyldesley, by Order in Council 16 November 1827, (London Gazette, 15 January 1828). By Order in Council, 24 September 1842, (London Gazette, 10 January 1843), the townships of Astley and Bedford were assigned to St. Stephen, Astley and St. George, Bedford, respectively. By Bishop's Instrument, 28 November 1854, a District was assigned to Christ Church, Pennington. St. John the Baptist, Atherton was assigned a District by Order in Council, 11 January 1859, (London Gaz tt 18 January), and by Order in Council, 25 October 1881, (London Gazette, 28 October 1881) a District was assigned to St. Peter, Westleigh.
Source:
The records were deposited in the Library as Diocesan Record Office in July 1997.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7184957
Find it!
0