Skip to main content
Bury, St. Mary the Virgin
Bury, St. Mary the Virgin
1590-2009
Archives
Find it!
Incumbent: Early Registers 1590-1782; Baptisms & Burials 1782-1812; Baptisms 1813-2009; Marriages 1754-2000; Burials 1813-1855; Registers of Services 1850-1964; Preachers Books, 1908-1966; Registers of Musical Services, 1860-1861; Orders of Service, 1890s-1930s; Bishop's Licences, 1890, 1902; Sentences of Consecration, 1876; Church House Cash and Accounts Books, 1929-1952; Letters, notices and addresses, 19th cent.; List of names of those who fell in the Great War, 1928; Bread Charity & Offertories Communicants, 1829-1887; Sermon by Thomas Gipps, Rector of Bury, 1697Churchwardens: Churchwardens' Minutes Book, 1893-1911; Associations of Warden's Minutes Book, 1911-1922 ; Churchwardens' Account Books; Churchwardens' Account Sheets. 1875-1925; Church Account Books, 1965-1976; Churchwardens' Letter Book, 1928-1931; Poor and Special Accounts Books, 1929-1957; Church Law Suit Account Books, 1781-1795; Bazaar Accounts, 1951-1952; Unidentified Account, n.d.; Printed Statements of Church Accounts, 1926-1935; Registers of Pew rents, 1912-1933; Book entitled 'Holcombe Court' re sittings in Bury Church for the Inhabitants of Tottington, 1735; Letters, lists and petitions regarding pew rents, 18th-19th cent.; Faculties, 18th-19th cent.; Repairs, 1943; Papers relating to rebuilding of 1776 Church; Report of the Committee for the Erection of the New Tower and Spire, 1844; Electrical Installation, 1932; Papers relating to fixtures and furniture in the Church, 1876-1922; Papers relating to Organ, 18th-20th cent.; Papers relating to enlargement of burial ground, 1876-1896Overseers and Vestry: Overseers Account Books, 1692-1832; Vestry Minute and Notice Books, 1828-1998; Vestry notices, 1880s-1890sSocieties: Men's Society Accounts and Minutes, 1946-1957Schools: Charity Commission Papers relating to Bury Grammar School, 1899; Letter to the Lord Bishop of Hulme (The Rev. John Charles Hill) from the Central Council of the Church of England for Religious Education concerning the possible sale of a piece of Bury Central School land, 1946Parochial Church Council: Minutes, 1926-1969; Accounts, 1916-1973Charities: Papers relating to Thomas & Ellen Fletcher Charity, 1908-1950s; Papers relating to Openshaw Charity, 188Related Material:MISC/207 Curates accounts, photocopied from originals at the church. 1764-68
Title:
Bury, St. Mary the Virgin
Date of work:
1590-2009
Reference number:
GB127.L215
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The present church of St Mary the Virgin was erected between 1870 and 1876 and was consecrated on 2 February 1876. The original church was built in the 13th century, was restored or rebuilt about 1535 but had fallen into decay by the middle of the 18th century. Between 1773 and 1780 a new building was erected which stood until 1870, when the chancel was taken down and the present one begun. However, in the course of reconstruction the entire building was declared unsafe and pulled down in 1872 before construction of the present church began. When the first church was built, the surrounding lands and fields were given by the local lords of the manor, the Derbys, to the benefice as glebe land. The church had three chapels of ease attached to it, at Holcombe, Edenfield and Heywood. The parish of Bury covered ten townships, served entirely by St Mary's with its three chapels until the 18th century, when industrial expansion and the need for a place of worship during the rebuilding of the parish church led to the construction of St John's Chapel in 1770 through public subscription. In 1764, the rector of St Mary's was given permission by a private act of parliament for he and his successors to grant building leases of 99 years on the glebe land. Part of the original District was assigned by a Bishop's Instrument to St James's, Heywood on 16 July 1840. In 1860 another part was assigned to St John's; in 1866, part was assigned to St James's in Waterfoot and part to Holy Trinity, Bury; in 1873 part was assigend to St Peter's, Bury and in 1867 part was assigned to St Thomas's, Bury. In 1965 St Mary's gained land from St Peter's at Bury in an alteration of parish boundaries.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
General notes:
Old Accession Number: 1997/67 2000/25 2000/33 2018/36
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7185032
Find it!
0