Skip to main content
Belfield St. Ann
Belfield St. Ann
1913-1989
Archives
Find it!
Banns of Marriage 1913 - 1943Churchwardens Accounts 1944 - 1989; Cash Book, 1976, Parish Magazine Accounts, 1967-1973; Parish Magazine Accounts, 1951 - 1975; Plans of the church and school, 1912-1913
Title:
Belfield St. Ann
Date of work:
1913-1989
Reference number:
GB127.L239
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
St Ann's, Belfield emerged out of the parish of St James, Milnrow in the early 1900's. The Firgrove side of the parish was growing and in 1898 the arrival of the Rev John Lewis May as assistant curate with the brief of administering to the Firgorve end of the parish. In 1899 a regular Sunday evening service commenced in the Firgrove Conservative club. In 1901 the increasing number of parishioners forced a move into a larger room. In the same year the Sunday School was also extablished. In 1903 the idea of creating a new parish from part of Milnrow and part of Newbold was first mentioned, and 1905 saw the purchase of an Iron Church, which was opened in the November of the same year. October 1906 saw the name of the church changed from Belfield Church Mission to St Ann's Belfield, although why the title was chosen remains unresolved. 1911 was a landmark year for the church, the parish of St Ann, Belfield was officially established with Rev H Wild licensed as vicar. A new church building was consecrated on 2nd October 1913, seating 352 all in free seats.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Topics:
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7185308
Find it!
0