Skip to main content
Records of the Oldham Photographic Society
Records of the Oldham Photographic Society
1867-1985
Archives
Find it!
Minutes 1867-1957; Accounts 1890-1951; Letter book 1884-1897; 76 Photographs taken by Leonard Atkin.Place:Oldham Metropolitan Borough/Greater Manchester/England
Title:
Records of the Oldham Photographic Society
Date of work:
1867-1985
Reference number:
GB124.G32
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The society was formed on Thursday 16th May 1867 when 12 professional photographers from Oldham met at the Hare and Hounds public house in Yorkshire Street, Oldham. Although photography was in its infancy, the society flourished with the first albums being placed in the library in 1868. By 1879 there were between 12 and 25 members regularly attending meetings and in 1880 the society moved to new premises at the Lyceum on Union Street where they remained for the next 15 years. The 1894/95 season was a very busy period for the society which now had 124 members mainly drawn from the Oldham area but there were individuals from Huddersfield, Knutsford, Stockport, Southport and the Isle of Man. It was during this time that the society found new rooms at the Trust Company's buildings at 13a Manchester Street. The beginning of the 20th century saw a rapid rise in membership until 1903 after which began a steady decline. A beginner's class began in 1911 with demonstrations of photographic techniques by expert members and as a result several people joined the Society. However, by 1912, membership was so low that it was considered to wind up the society but no such action was necessary. They stayed at Manchester Street for a further two years when hard times forced a move to the Free Library. During the war years, attendance at meetings averaged moved ten with levels rarely above 30 during this time. After the war had ended, the society moved its meetings to the YMCA in Rhodes Bank and women were admitted as members in their own right in 1923. Ten years later reduced subscriptions were introduced for junior members of the society. At the start of the Second World War the society moved yet again to premises above Timothy Whites and Taylors in High Street. After the War Oldham Photographic Society moved to their present meeting rooms at the Community Centre, Frederick Street, Werneth. Almost all members of the Society are now amateur photographers. Transferred to Oldham Archives, Jan 2013.
Source:
Deposited 29 Nov 1988 (1331) with additional material in June 1989 (1356), 22 August 1990 (1414), 31 August 1993 (1505)
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7185881
Find it!
0