Skip to main content
Irlam, St. John the Baptist
Irlam, St. John the Baptist
1866-c.1959
Archives
Find it!
Incumbent: Baptism Registers 1866-1946; Marriage Registers 1867-1959; Burial Registers 1866-1950; Registers of Services 1883-1976; Books of Confirmation Candidates 1924-1952; Parish Boundaries 1890-1929Churchwardens: Parochial Register 1868-1904; Inventory 1892; Faculties 1896-1960Vestry Book 1866-1940John Greaves's Charities for Poor and Orphans 1834-1957
Title:
Irlam, St. John the Baptist
Date of work:
1866-c.1959
Reference number:
GB127.L298
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
John Greaves bought the estate of Irlam Hall in 1795 and his son, also John Greaves, succeeded him in 1815. A school was built in 1834, and trustees were indowed for its future government; see L298/4/1. When John Greaves died in 1848 he left money to buy land and a church. The church was not consecrated until 11 July 1866, by the Right Revd. Lord Bishop of Manchester. The first encumbent was Revd Thomas Lewis Beddoes. A new church and churchyard was built in 1925 - for the new district of St Mary, Cadishead - and a new vicarage was added to St John the Baptist in 1934.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Topics:
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7186013
Find it!
0