Skip to main content
Heap Bridge, St George
Heap Bridge, St George
1896-1976
Archives
Find it!
Marriage Registers 1896-1976; Confirmation Register 1958-1976; P.C.C. minute book 1960-1976
Title:
Heap Bridge, St George
Date of work:
1896-1976
Reference number:
GB127.L303
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The foundation stone of St George's Church was laid in Jun 1891 to serve the Heap Bridge area as part of the parish of Heywood, St James until 1907 when it was consecrated on 25 Jul. By Order in Council of 27 Oct 1976 it was joined with Bury, St Thomas as the new parish of Bury, Christ the King with St Thomas' as parish church. In Jun 1977 the building was severely damaged by fire, 40% of the roof and the vestry and its contents including many records were destroyed. A repair fund was established to fund considerable conversion work on rebuilding, also financed by sale of the old Gore Street school and site.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Topics:
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7186079
Find it!
0