Skip to main content
Township of Chorlton upon Medlock Records
Township of Chorlton upon Medlock Records
1718-1895
Archives
Find it!
Overseers accounts 1718-1794; constables' accounts 1718-1770; surveyor's accounts 1718-1749; rate books 1822-1895; minutes 1838-1875; maps and plans of property in Chorlton on Medlock 1851-1894; papers of the Overseers of the Poor relating to the rating of Rusholme Congregational Sunday School, on the grounds that it was used for other than religious purposes 1877-1890.Related Material:1863 citizens list of Chorlton upon Medlock for alphabetical list of citizens or ratepayers see MS f 352.042 M45.The library also possesses a copy of the tithe plan and schedule for Chorlton-upon-Medlock drawn up in 1849, the original of which is in the Lancashire Record Office. Other maps and plans of the area are:W Green, Chorlton on Medlock (photocopy) 1794 (L. H. VF. f912.4273)Plan of building lands in Chorlton on Medlock, the property of Messrs Cooper. Marsland & Duckworth c1810 (L. H. HFF)Map of Chorlton on Medlock giving measurements of roads c1810 (L. H. VF. 912.4273)General Board of Health. Ancoats and Chorlton on Medlock 1849 (614.0942 R7)Plan of the boundary between Hulme and Chorlton upon Medlock (GB127.M10.5/7/2)Place:/Chorlton upon Medlock/Manchester/Lancashire/England/Manchester/Lancashire/England
Title:
Township of Chorlton upon Medlock Records
Date of work:
1718-1895
Reference number:
GB127.M10/9
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
Chorlton Roe (from 1832, Chor1ton-upon-Medlock) was a separate township in the Parish of Manchester. It had its own Overseers of the Poor and Highways and from 1822, its own body of Police Commissioners. In 1838 it was included within the boundaries of the newly incorporated Borough of Manchester. From May 1842, when the Police Commissioners transferred their powers to the Borough Council until 1875, there was a separate Chorlton-upon-Medlock Committee to deal with its affairs. For Poor Law Purposes, it was part of the Chorlton-upon-Medlock Union of Poor Law Guardians from 1837 until 1896, when it was merged into the township of South Manchester.
Source:
With the exception of the Overseers' Accounts, 1718-94, which were donated by Mr John Higson of Droylsden in 1861, the records listed here were transferred from the Rates Department and the Committee Clerk's Department in the Manchester Town Hall in 1958.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Copies available:
1 negative available of highway rates for Oxford Street numbers 1-49 for 1837
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7187122
Find it!
0