Skip to main content
Records of Withington Township
Records of Withington Township
1850-1915
Archives
Find it!
Withington Parochial Committee of Rural Sanitary Authority, Chorlton Union Minutes 1873-1876; Withington Local Board of Health 1876-1894; Withington Urban District Council Minutes 1885-1905; Minutes of the Withington Committee, Manchester Corporation 1905-1915; Minutes of the following Commitees: Bye Law Plans Sub Committee 1910-1915; Cemetery Committee 1900-1901; Cemetery and Recreation Grounds Committee 1894-1904; Destructor and Hospital Sub Committee 1897-1903; Finance Committee 1897-1904; General Purposes Committee 1895-1904; Hackney Carriage, Lighting and Stables Sub Committee 1897-1904; Health Committee 1898-1904; Highways Committee 1876-1882; Highways and General Purposes Sub Committee 1882-1889; Highways Committee of the UDC 1895-1904; Highways Sub Committee 1904-1915; Hospital Committee 1898-1904; Baguley Sanatorium House Committee 1903-1904; Lamp and Scavenging Committee 1877-1979; Main Drainage Committee 1877-1904; Main Drainage Work Sub Committee 1900-1906; Road Improvements and Lands Purchasing Sub Committee 1906-1915; Sanitary Committee 1877-1879; Palatine Road Widening Sub Committee 1901; Sanitary, Lamp and Hackney Carriage Committee 1879-1897; Technical Instruction Committee 1892-1903; Town Hall Sub Committee 1897-1903; Draft Committee Minute Books of the Withington Committee 1905-1915; Letter books containing extracts of decisions of committees 1877-1915; Rate Books 1850-1910; Related Material:The library possesses the minute book, account book and miscellaneous papers of the Amalgamation League 1902-4 (BR. F 352.042 W20 and W21). This was formed in 1902 to draw attention to the advantages of amalgamation with Manchester. Short histories were written of the Withington Local Board 1881-1894 (352.042 W24), and there was a review of the first 3 years of work of the Withington Urban District Council (1895-1898) (352.042 W23), copies of which are preserved in the library. These give in detail boundary changes in the territory they were responsible for. The library also possesses some plans and sections concerning tramway improvements and construction in 1879, and 1880 (FF 625.6 Wl and W2).Place:/Withington/Manchester/Lancashire/England
Title:
Records of Withington Township
Date of work:
1850-1915
Reference number:
GB127.M10/24
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
Withington originally in the Parish of Manchester, later in that of Didsbury, and a parish of its own from 1854, was a township within the Chorlton on Medlock Union of Poor Law Guardians from 1837. From 1876 the Withington Local Board of Health was set up whose territory extended over Withington, Whalley Range, Didsbury, West Didsbury Fallowfield and Chorlton cum Hardy. In 1894 the Withington Urban District Council was set up under the Local Government Act 1894, its territory comprising 4 whole parishes, namely Withington, Chorlton cum Hardy, Burnage and Didsbury. In 1904 Withington was all incorporated with Manchester, though from 1885 the northern portion of the township, along with Rusholme and part of Moss Side was incorporated with Manchester and formed the Rusholme ward of the City. A Withington Committee of the Manchester City Council continued to manage Withington's affairs until 1915. Withington remained in the Chorlton on Medlock Union until 1910 when it was merged with other townships to form the Township of South Manchester.
Source:
The records were transferred from the Rates Department and the Committee Clerk's Department in the Manchester Town Hall in 1958.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7187453
Find it!
0