Skip to main content
Records of the Union Club, Manchester
Records of the Union Club, Manchester
1825-1948
Archives
Find it!
Minutes of committees, ledgers and other financial recordsPlace:/Manchester/Manchester/Lancashire/England
Title:
Records of the Union Club, Manchester
Date of work:
1825-1948
Reference number:
GB127.M17
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The Club was founded in 1825 as a social club. The prospectus stated that 'it is proposed to establish in Manchester a Club-house where Gentlemen may at any time be provided, in a superior manner and at a moderate charge with Provisions, Wines, etc.,... on the plan of similar Establishments in London.' Temporary accommodation was found in Norfolk Street. In 1827, the Club moved to 5 (later re-numbered 13) Mosley Street. By September 1832, however, the need for more commodious premises was felt, and in 1836, it moved into a new building designed by Richard Lane on the corner of Mosley Street and Nicholas Street. For a considerable period, the Club 'was held to be second to none in reputation out of London,' (W. A. Shaw. Manchester Old and New. 1894). By the nineteen thirties however, club life in the City was on the decline and separate discussions were held during 1932 with both the Clarendon and the Brasenose Clubs with a view to combining. The Brasenose Club was formed in 1869 'to promote the association of gentlemen of Literary, Scientific or Artistic Professions, Pursuits or Tastes.' Among its early members were Sir Charles Halle, Charles A. Duval and Edwin Waugh. In 1892, it moved from its home in Brazennose Street to larger premises at 94 Mosley Street, which had originally been built for the National and Provincial Bank and designed by Ambrose Poynter. In January 1933 however, its members transferred to the older club. The discussions with the Clarendon Club did not result in any definite action in 1932. It was not until April, 1961, that it was announced that the two Clubs were to combine. The Union Club was to see the year out and then in January, 1962 to join the Clarendon Club at 102 Mosley Street and form the new St. James's Club. It would remain there until 1965 when new premises were to be built in Charlotte Street. It was at this time that the earlier surviving records of the Union and Brasenose Clubs were deposited in the Library.
Arrangement:
Storage Code: 26023Storage Desc: Location: Central Library SR2/125/8/5userwrapped2: SB
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
General notes:
Arrangement:#
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7187589
Find it!
0