Skip to main content
Wilmott Street Mission Hulme
Wilmott Street Mission Hulme
1865-1941
Archives
Find it!
Minutes of the Executive Committee 1927-1938; Church records including Constitutions of Wilmot Street and Union Hall, Vine Street; Correspndence and papers relating to the appointment of trustees; Sunday School records including minutes of teachers meetings 1865-1941Place:/Hulme/Manchester/Lancashire/England
Title:
Wilmott Street Mission Hulme
Date of work:
1865-1941
Reference number:
GB127.M23
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The earliest record in this collection is a Sunday School Minute Book commencing in June, 1865. Wilmott Street Baptist Chapel is first included in Slater's Manchester directory, in 1858. It would appear to have been in existence at least a year earlier however, as it is mentioned in Stranger's guide to Manchester and Salford, which was published the preceding year. In January 1871, it became attached to Union Chapel, Oxford Road, which was then under the ministry of the renowned Dr. Alexander McLaren. Predominantly, though not exclusively Baptist, it was run on undenominational lines and the constitution of Wilmott Street Mission was widened to bring it in accord with the mother church. By 1880, the work of the Mission had grown sufficiently to warrant the purchase of land for larger premises and subsequently, in 1884, the appointment of Trustees. The Trust Deed recognized the Mission as autonomous, but it continued to come under the supervision and direction of the Minister and Deacons of Union Chapel and to receive from them considerable financial support. On 23rd December, 1940, the building was so badly damaged in an Enemy air raid that it had to be demolished. It was decided because of the great damage to the surrounding neighbourhood to suspend the work of the Mission for the duration of the war. The Executive Committee was kept in being to preserve the identity of the Mission and deal with such matter as claims for war damage. In October, 191.4, it was decided that it would be impractical to rebuild; Wilmott Street was included in the Manchester Town Planning Scheme, th. religious and educational requirements or the neighbourhood were adequately met by other Churches and Missions in the area and former members were attached to other churches. The Executive Committee continued to function however, for a further nine years. Before the site could be disposed of', Manchester had to receive government sanction to purchase the land and the sale was not concluded until early in 1952. The war damage claim was finally met in October 1953 and proceeds were divided the following month between Union Chapel (now in Fallowfield);Union Hall Mission, Vine Street, Hulme; McLaren Memorial Institute, Rusholme and Brownley Green Baptist Church, Wythenshawe.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7187707
Find it!
0