Skip to main content
Ancoats, St. Andrew
Ancoats, St. Andrew
1831-1959
Archives
Find it!
Records of the Incumbent including : Finance, 1846-1944; Curates' Licences, 1873-1922; Residence Licences, 1899-1948; Miscellaneous Papers about Births, Marriages and Deaths etc., 1885 - 1903 ; Baird St. Mission, 1889-1901; Statistical Returns of Parochial Work, 1894-1903; Services, 1895-1910; Parish Magazines, 1897, 1902; Memoranda Books, 1876-1903; Baptism Registers, 1831-1958; Marriage Registers, 1838-1958; Burial Registers, 1831-1855; Banns Book, 1940-1959; Religious Census, 1937Records of Churchwardens : Accounts, 1886-1903, 1915-1927; Church Fabric, 1879-1952 (includes faculties); Insurance, 1895-1937; Church Property, 1938-1946; Inventories, 1936; Papers Relating to Incumbents, 1931-1938Vestry records : Reports, 1878, 1897, 1900, 1902; Minutes, 1903-1930; Minutes of Congregational Meetings, 1866-1867Records of the Parochial Church Council : Minutes, 1903-1940; Pass Book, 1929-1934; Accounts, 1925-1944; Electoral Roll, C 1943-1945SCHOOLS : Baird St., 1825-1957; Homer St., 1846-1955; Baird St. and Homer St., 1887-1959; St. James's School, Major St., 1940-1959Records of Societies : Sunday School Sick Club, 1845; Rugby Football Club, 1887-1894; Men's Social Club, 1899-1939; Heyrod St. Lads' Club, 1901-1902; Church of England Women's Help Society, 1899-1903; Charities : Samuel Fletcher, 1886-1889; Betton's Charity, 1895-1903; Tallerman Institutes, 1902; Home of Rest, Lytham, 1899-1900; Barnes Samaritan Charity, 1900-1901; Nicholl's Hospital, Manchester, 1903; Manchester and Salford Medical Charities, 1902-1903; Mayes Charity, 1901-1902; ; Richard Woodhouse Charities, 1931; John Henry Woodhouse Charities, 1931-1932, 1954Miscellaneous Papers including : Manchester Parishes, 1850-1937; Circulars etc, 1871-1932; Letters to George Greaves of Ardwick, 1889-1892; Letters to Canon C.W. Woodhouse, 1890-1902; Letters to J. Coglan of Ardwick, 1933-1938Related Material:The Archives Department also has Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation Returns, 13 May 1846 which include miscellaneous papers relating to the church and schools (Ms f 942.72 R121 vol. 40) and papers re appointments of curates, 1831-1846 (M39/2/20/1-5, M39/2/21/1).The following is available in the Local Studies Library:[Skot, John Henry] St. Andrew's Church, Travis Street, Ancoats, Manchester, consecrated on 6th October 1831 : a commemorative booklet (Holt Publishing Service, 1931) 283.4273SK[Caw, John Young] Plan for the endowmen of the church of St. Andrew, Ancoats, Manchester (Charles Simms, Manchester, 1846)Place:/Ancoats/Manchester/Manchester/Lancashire/England
Title:
Ancoats, St. Andrew
Date of work:
1831-1959
Reference number:
GB127.M45
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The foundation stone of St. Andrew's was laid on 14 Sept. 1829 and the church consecrated on 6 Oct. 1831 (Atkinson and Sharp). It was assigned a District by Order in Council, 14 Sept, 1838 (London Gazette, 29 Mar. 1839) from the parish of Manchester. These boundaries were altered in 1856 (Order in Council, 24 June, London Gazette, 1 July.) In 1928 by Order in Council 7 May (London Gazette, 11 May), part of the parish of St. James, George St., Manchester, was added to St. Andrew's, and in 1937 part of St. James the Less, Manchester was added by Order in Council, 2 Feb. (London Gazette, 9 Feb.) In 1958 St. Andrew's was closed and the parish united with All Souls as All Souls with St. Andrew, by Order in Council 3 Aug. (London Gazette, 5 Aug. 1960). Demolished 1961. The united parish was joined by St. Mary's, Beswick in 1966 and became simply All Souls, Ancoats (Order in Council 22 June, London Gazette, 24 June 1966).
Source:
The following records were deposited in the Library as Diocesan Record Office in Mar. 1962 by Rev. O.J. Horrocks, Nov. 1977 by Rev. W.F.M. Collins and Nov. 1981 by Rev. P. Widdess.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7188113
Find it!
0