Skip to main content
Records of Manchester School Board
Records of Manchester School Board
1870-1904
Archives
Find it!
Minutes of the Manchester School Board 1870-1903; Minutes of miscellaneous committees 1870-1873; Finance Committee Minutes 1875-1903; School Management and Organisation Committee Minutes 1873-1875; School Management Committee Minutes 1875-1903; Newspaper Cuttings Books, 1879-1910; General Purposes Committee 1876-1903; Office Committee Minutes 1872-1903; Industrial Schools Committee Minutes 1873-1903; Sites and Schools Buildings Committee Minutes 1873-1903; Managers of Board School Minutes 1873-1874; Fees and Byelaws Committee Minutes 1885-1887; Minutes of Sub Committees 1875-1890; Newspaper Cuttings, 1879-1910; Books Minute Books of districts incorporated in Manchester after the formation of the School Board (Crumpsall, Levenshulme and Moss Side) 1875-1904Related Material:For Education Committee minutes 1903-1980 see Council Minutes.See also 'Manchester School Board' by C.B. Dolton (on microfilm MF 594).For records of the Manchester City Council Education Department see M428.Place:/Manchester/Manchester/Lancashire/England/Levenshulme/Manchester/Lancashire/England/Moss Side/Manchester/Lancashire/England/Cheetham/Manchester/Lancashire/England
Title:
Records of Manchester School Board
Date of work:
1870-1904
Reference number:
GB127.M65
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The Manchester School Board was established under the 1870 Education Act to ensure that there was sufficient school provision for all children in Manchester. The large number of voluntary schools that existed in Manchester in 1870 were largely pronounced efficient by HMIs and it was not until 1875 that the School Board took over its first two schools - Sharp Street Ragged School and St. Matthew's School, Byrom Street [M66/14]. The School Board's first new school was built on Every Street in 1876 [M66/29]. By the end of 1902 the School Board had built 40 new schools, taken over a further 26 and supervised 89 non-provided schools. Under its first chariman, Herbert Birley, the School Board was also involved in the provision of education over and above elementary level. By 1903 there were 6 Higher Grade and Science Schools with the largest and most esteemed being the Central School, which opened in Deansgate in 1884. The School Board began an exhibition fund in 1875 to enable poorer children to attend Higher Grade Schools and in 1891 it was decided that any child passing standard VI would be eligible for support. Further education provision was made for working people to study in the evenings with Evening Continuation Schools, Science and Art Evening Schools and Commercial Evening Schools. The cause of Women's education was also espoused and eight Evening Institutions for Women and Girls were built between 1891 and 1902. The voluntary schools largely represented Christian denominations but there were insufficient school places for the increasing Jewish population. A Jewish school was opened by the School Board at Southall Street, Strangeways [M66/82] and as the community increased a second school was built at Waterloo Road, Cheetham [M66/91]. Two schools were established for children with special educational needs at Embden Street [M66/28] and Hague Street, Newton Heath [M66/122] through the influence of Mary Deny who had been elected to the School Board in 1896. In later years these specialist departments were set up else where and were often known as ESN [Educationally Sub-Normal] Schools or later special schools. The quality of teaching in Manchester schools was improved by the creation of Pupil-teacher Centres. It is common in log books to find references to the visit and placement of student/pupil teachers. Manchester City Council has been a Local Education Authority since 1903, when under the 1902 Education Act it became responsible for the provision of elementary education in the City. The Act also charged local authorities with the development of education other than elementary. The Education Committee, appointed by the City Council and composed of council members and co-opted persons, assumed the functions of the existing School Board and the Council's existing Technical Instruction Committee on the 1 July 1903. It was to supervise the running of the Board School, and to a lesser extent, the running of the existing voluntary schools.
Source:
These records were transferred from the Education Offices on Deansgate to the library in 1967
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7188459
Find it!
0