Skip to main content
Bennett Street Sunday School, 1801-1966, Manchester, Lancashire
Bennett Street Sunday School, 1801-1966, Manchester, Lancashire
1788-1975
Archives
Find it!
Minutes; Trust Deeds; Rules; Financial Papers; Correspondence;Annual Reports; Papers relating to managers and teachers;Documents relating to scholars; records of repairs to the building; Records of Societies attached to Bennett St. Sunday School; Bennett St. Sunday School Sick and Funeral Society ; St. Paul's Bennett St. Sunday School Adult Sick and Funeral Society; Minutes, Accounts and Correspondence of Bennett Street Institution; St. Paul's Bennett St. Sunday School Benevolent Committee; Band of Hope records; Bennett St. Sunday School Tonic Sol-fa Singing Class; Bennett St. Sunday School Bennett St. Sunday School Free Library Miscellaneous Papers; Printed matter; Bennett St. Sunday School Tract Associations; Girl GuidesRelated Material:Other references to the Sunday School are to be found in Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation Papers (MS f 942 72 R121 vol.38), while the records of St. Paul's Literary and Educational Society, founded in 1843 as Bennett St. Sunday School Mutual Improvement Class, 1843-1962, were deposited in 1966 and are calendared separately at GB127.M38/. Other records of St. Paul's church are calendared at GB127.M330/1.Place:Manchester Metropolitan District/Greater Manchester/England
Title:
Bennett Street Sunday School, 1801-1966, Manchester, Lancashire
Date of work:
1788-1975
Reference number:
GB127.M103
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
Bennett St. Sunday School was founded in 1801 by David Stott. It first occupied premises in Gun St. and Primrose St. and in 1808 moved to George Leigh St. Ancoats. In 1818 a new building was erected in Bennett St. on land leased from the trustees of Hulme's Charity and on 13 Dec. the children marched from George Leigh St. to their new school. At first the Sunday School was connected with St. Clement's and St. Luke's, and from 1823 with St. Clement's only. Then in 1824 the trustees found themselves in doctrinal disagreement with the Rev. William Nunn of St. Clement's and so they separated the School from St. Clement's and attached it to St. Paul's. The School was the most important Sunday School in Manchester and it remained in existence until 1966. The building was demolished in 1970 and the trust wound up in 1975 its funds being transferred to the Bennett St. Educational Foundation.
Source:
Deposited in May 1970 and April 1979 by Mr. R.D. Fletcher of Moston, formerly Secretary to the Trustees of Bennett St. Sunday School. Print at M103/7/7 was deposited by Rev Gomersall as part of accession 2008/11.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
General notes:
Arrangement:Arranged by Function
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7189309
Find it!
0