Skip to main content
Miles Platting, St. John The Evangelist
Miles Platting, St. John The Evangelist
1854-1980
Archives
Find it!
Records of the Incumbent including : Baptism Registers 1854-1944; Marriage Registers 1855-1956; Registers of Services 1855-1973; Registers of Services and Official Parochial Register 1893-1900; Banns Book 1919-1980Records of the Churchwardens and Parochial Church Council : Copy Sequestration 1972; Records of the Parochial Church Council Minutes 1920-1969 (incomplete) ;Vestry Minutes 1929-1969; Records of the Sunday School : Teacher's Minutes 1905-1938Miscellaneous Papers including : Service Sheets 1872-1910; Circular Letters From Incumbents 1882, 1897; Circular Letter From Records of Churchwardens 1873-[1883]; Balance Sheets 1873-1875; Sunday School Annual Tea Party Programmes 1875,1880; St. John's Monthly Record, 1877-1884; Parish Magazines; St. John's Monthly Record (new series); Papers Relating to the Heywood Family; Newspaper Cuttings; Miscellaneous Newspaper Cuttings; History; Photographs
Title:
Miles Platting, St. John The Evangelist
Date of work:
1854-1980
Reference number:
GB127.M194
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
St. John's was built by Sir Benjamin Heywood and consecrated on 27th December 1855. It was assigned a District by Order in Council, 24 June 1856 (London Gazette, 1 July 1856). In 1972 by Order in Council, 23 Oct. (London Gazette, 26 Oct.) it was united with St. George with St. Barnabas, Manchester, and St. Luke's, Miles Platting, to become St. Cuthbert's, Miles Platting. St. John's became nationally famous in the late 1870s when the ritualistic practices of the rector Sidney Faithorn Green aroused strong feelings both of opposition and support. Following a presentation to the Bishop against Catholic practices Rev. Green was summoned to Lord Penzance's Court under the Public Worship Act of 1874, but refused to have anything to do with it. He was Therefore condemned in his absence in June 1879, but it was not until March 1881 that he was arrested for contempt of court and imprisoned At Lancaster. Bailiffs possessed the rectory and his chattels were sold to pay court costs. He was forced to resign in late 1882. During the controversy the church was broken into on 1 Apr. 1879 and altar ornaments and records damaged, an attempt being made to set fire to them. The Register of Services, 1876-1884 has several of its pages torn out.
Source:
The following records were deposited in the Library as Diocesan Record Office in Aug. 1974 by Rev. T. F. de B. Baynes in Jan. 1977 by Mr. J. Mather, former Records of the Churchwarden and in Apr. 1980 and Apr. 1982 by Canon S.P. Meadows
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7191102
Find it!
0