Skip to main content
Manchester, The Parish of the Apostles
Manchester, The Parish of the Apostles
1837-1979
Archives
Find it!
Records of the Parish of St Jude, Ancoats, Manchester:Records of Incumbent including: baptism registers 1837-1953; marriage registers 1856-1954; banns books 1935-1954; consecration documents 1842-1871; papers relating to the boundaries of St Jude's Parish 1871-1937; deeds of the site of the Church Property 1842-1950. Records of Churchwardens and Parochial Church Council, including: accounts 1947-1953; annual statement of accounts 1945-1952; bank pass books and related papers 1914-1959; faculties 1891-1926; Parochial Church Council and Whitsuntide Committee Minutes 1948-1953. Records of St Jude's Day and Sunday Schools: Sunday School log book 1882-1897, 1903; bank pass books for St Jude's Schools 1907-1955; correspondence 1887-1958. Bequests to St Jude's 1864-1916.Records of the Parish of St Mark, Holland Street, Newton Heath:Records of Incumbent, including: baptism registers 1881-1968; marriage registers 1885-1970; registers of services 1902-1970; banns book 1935-1961; papers relating to boundaries of St Mark's Parish; parish magazines 1894-1958. Records of Churchwardens and Parochial Church Council, including: churchwardens papers relating to clergy appointments 1907-1952; Parochial Church Council minutes 1898-1962; accounts 1930-1969; annual reports and statements of accounts 1893-1924; statements of accounts 1943-1959; faculties 1888-1953; plan of site of Church and School 1883-1895; minutes of Committee for Building St Mark's Church, Rectory and School 1883-1899; reports on Church fabric under Inspections of Churches measures 1958-1966. Accounts relating to St Mark's School 1876-1886. Wills of parishioners 1898-1905.Records of the Parish of St Philip, Bradford Road, Manchester:Records of Incumbent, including: baptism registers 1850-1955; marriage registers 1850-1967, banns books 1905-1970; registers of services 1882-1977; confirmation registers 1938-1960; papers relating to parish boundaries 1885-1977; papers relating to the rectories of St Philip's, St Mark's, and St Jude's 1955-1962; surveyors reports on St Philip's Rectory 1887-1931; correspondence 1959-1984; St Philip's with St Mark's parish magazines 1960-1964. Records of Churchwardens and Parochial Church Council including: vestry minutes 1858-1970; minutes of congregation and committee 1869-1879; Parochial Church Council minutes 1901-1975; electoral rolls c1921-1971; ledgers 1885-1890; account books 1887-1895, 1943-1949, 1964-1969; annual statement of accounts 1887-1899, 1903-1946, 1950-1971; faculties 1890-1975; inventories 1907-1941. Records relating to St Philip's Sunday School, including: accounts 1851-1864; ledgers 1877-1951; teachers' minutes 1870-1879; managers' minutes 1858-1893; School correspondence 1950-1959; annual School accounts 1894-1903; log books 1881-1948. Records relating to Joynson Memorial Hall, including: papers relating to the use of the hall before it became a youth centre 1952-1964; Management Committee minutes 1965-1971; accounts for conversion and running the youth centre 1964-1969. Miscellaneous: historical notes 19th and 20th centuries; miscellaneous wills 1872-1943.Records of St Peter, Oldham Road, Manchester:Records of Incumbent, including: baptism registers 1860-1975; marriage registers 1860-1975; records of burial and cremation services 1957-1971; banns books 1860-1975; confirmation register 1952-1973; register of services 1860-1975; papers relating to parish boundaries 1927-1974; papers relating to St Peter's Rectory 1959-1967. Records of Churchwardens and Parochial Church Council, including: Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes 1860-1975; account books 1860-1925; bank pass books 1903-1975; faculties 1881-1958; inventory 1938-1956. St Peter's Sunday School accounts 1897-1912. Records relating to St Peter's Day School, including: St Peter's Day School Committee minutes 1863-1876; papers relating to chief rents; account book 1924-1975; bank pass books 1953-1967; annual reports 1865-1975.Records of St James the Lees, Major Street, Ancoats:Records of Incumbent: baptism registers 1867-1937; marriage registers 1871-1936; banns book 1930-1936; register of services 1923-1937; papers relating to parish boundaries 1937; papers relating to Parsonage of St Peter with St James the Lees 1937-1956; parish magazines 1892-1894. Records of Churchwardens and Parochial Church Council: annual statement of accounts 1929-1935; faculties 1921-1958.Records of St Martin's, German Street, Manchester:Including: Baptism register 1865-1906; marriage register 1874-1906; banns books 1874-1906; register of services 1873-1906Related Material:For plans of Manchester, St. Peter, Oldham Road see 'Churches: Their Details and Fittings' (Volume 1) (Archives MS FF 726.5 H15)Place:/Manchester/Manchester/Lancashire/EnglandManchester Metropolitan District/Greater Manchester/England
Title:
Manchester, The Parish of the Apostles
Date of work:
1837-1979
Reference number:
GB127.M299
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The Parish of the Apostles, Manchester In 1975 the parishes of St Philip with St Mark and St Peter with St James the Less were united as St Andrew's, by Order in Council, 17 September (London Gazette, 19 September 1975). In 1976 its name was changed to the parish of the Apostles. St Jude's, Mill Street, Ancoats St Jude's first church was built in 1821 by the Tent Methodists, at the corner of Canal Street. and Home Street. It was purchased in 1835 by Robert Gardner, and was opened as an Anglican church in April 1837. Reconsecrated 14 April 1841. In July 1864 the foundation stone of a new church was laid at the junction of Mill Street and Kirby St, Ancoats, a third of a mile from the original church. The new church was consecrated on 14 Apr. 1866. (see Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation Returns, 1846, MSf 942.72 R121 vol.40). On 18 Mar. 1958 it was united with Mark's, Holland Street, Newton Heath, as St Philip's with St Mark's. Closed 1959. St Mark's, Holland Street, Newton Heath St Mark's was built in 1885, being assigned a District from St Philip's, Bradford Rd., by Order in Council, 9 July (London Gazette, 21 July 1885). In 1958 by Order in Council, 14 March (London Gazette, 18 March 1958) it rejoined St Philips and along with St Jude's, Ancoats, formed the parish of St Philip with St Mark, St Philip's being the parish church of the united benefice. St Philip's, Bradford Road, Manchester St Philip's was built in 1844 on land given by Sir Oswald Mosley. The foundation stone was laid by Archdeacon John Rushton, 2 Dec. 1846 and it was consecrated on 5 Apr. 1850. It was the fifth of ten churches proposed to be erected by the Ten Churches Association of Manchester and Salford (see Archdeacon Rushton's Visitation Returns MSf 942.72 R121 vol.47). A District was assigned to it from All Souls, Ancoats, and All Saints, Newton Heath by Order in Council, 9 March 1850 (London Gazette, 22 March 1850). In 1885 St Mark's, Newton Heath, was formed from it. (Order in Council, 9 July, London Gazette 21 July 1885). By Order in Council 14 March (London Gazette, 18 March 1958) it was joined by St Jude's, to form the parish of St Philip with St Mark. St Peter's Oldham Road, Manchester The Upper Room of German St School in the ecclesiastical district of St George's, Manchester, was licensed for services in Dec. 1853. The foundation stone of the separate church was laid on 25 June 1859 and it was consecrated on 14 Jan. 1860. (see Archdeacon Rushton's Visitation Returns MSf 942.72 R121 vol. 37, p.125 and vol.44). Designed by I. Holden. A District was assigned from St George's, Oldham Road, by Order in Council, 1 August 1860 (London Gazette, 3 August). In 1874 part of this was transferred to the new St Martin's, German Street, by Order in Council, 7 July, (London Gazette, 10 July). When St Martin's was demolished in 1906 the two parishes were re-united. In 1937 by Order in Council, 2 February (London Gazette, 9 February) St Peter's and most of St James the Less, Ancoats, were united as the parish of St Peter with St James the Less, St Peter's becoming the parish church. [for other records of St Peter's see GB127.Ml2/ Records of German St Sunday School]. St James the Lees, Major Street, Ancoats The church of St James was consecrated in 1870 (T. Risley) and a District assigned to it from St Jude's, Ancoats, by Order in Council, 29 June 1871 (London Gazette, 4 July). Closed in 1937 by Order in Council, 2 February (London Gazette, 9 February) parts of the parish were transferred to St Andrew's, Ancoats, and St Jude's, Ancoats, but the bulk joined St Peter's, Oldham Road, to become the united benefice of St Peter's with St James the Less.
Source:
These records were transferred to the Library as Diocesan Record Office in May 1978, and July 1982 and February 1985 by Rev. A. Willetts, and July 1986 by Rev. A. Durrans. Additional deposits in September 1996, February 1997 (Accession 1997/12), September 1999 (Accession 1999/64)
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
General notes:
Old Accession Number: 1997/12 1999/64 1996/Sep 13 1996/Aug 20
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7193085
Find it!
0