Skip to main content
New Cross, St. Paul, with Red Bank, St. Michael And St. Thomas, Manchester.
New Cross, St. Paul, with Red Bank, St. Michael And St. Thomas, Manchester.
1765-1976
Archives
Find it!
ST. PAUL'S, NEW CROSS Records of Incumbent Baptism Registers, 1889-1976; Marriage Registers, 1838-1973; Banns Book, 1879-1948; Registers of Services, 1886-1978; Deed of' Consecration, 1765; Boundaries, 1838-1977; Income, 1802-1972; Correspondence, 1975; Parish Magazines, 1878-1966Records of Churchwardens : Accounts, 1888-1940; ;Faculties, 1909-1970; Report under Inspection of Churches Measure, 1966; Notification of Listing as a Building of Special; Architectural or Historic Interest, 1975; Inventories, 1902 and 1914; Decoration, 1929; Drainage, 1973; Church Clock, 1974-1975; Insurance, 1903-1975; Correspondence, 1888-1890Records of the Parochial Church Council : Minutes, 1878-1879, 1888-1943; Electoral Roll, 1920-1929; Centenary Celebrations, 1865-1866Records of the Sunday School, 1967 Records of Societies : St. Paul's Cricket and Tennis Club, 1930-32Miscellaneous Papers including : Service Sheets 1893-1972; Photograph, 1896; Notes, 20th c.Records of the Day School : Managers' Minutes, 1903-1940; ST. MICHAEL'S, ANGEL MEADOWRecords of the Incumbent including : Baptism and Burial Registers, 1789-1812, 1838-1847; Baptism Registers, 1813-1930; Marriage Registers, 1839-1928; Burial Registers, 1813-1854; Registers of Services, 1868-1930; Religious Census, no date; Boundaries, 1930-1965; Churchyard, 1787-1973; Income, 1887-1915; Parish Magazine, 1923Records of Churchwardens : Accounts and Offertories, 1871-1930; Faculties, 1883-1928; Inventory, 1914; Vestry records : Minutes, 1838-1924Records of Societies : Lads' Club Accounts, 1900-1902ST. MICHAEL'S EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION : Trustees' Minutes, 1959-1977; Accounts, 1872-1883; Correspondence, 1908-1975; Copy Leases, 1953-1958;Insurance, 1932-1967;ST. THOMAS'S, RED BANKRecords of the Incumbent including : Baptism Registers, 1844-1928; Marriage Registers, 1845-1929; Banns Banks, 1912-1929; Register of Services, 1918-1929Vestry records : Minutes 1872-1929Records of the Sunday School : Accounts, 1930-1940; Insurance, 1932-1942; Hire of Piano, 1930; Lease of Premises, 1935; Records of the Day School : Scheme for Church of England Educational Foundations, 1961 Related Material:For other records of St. Paul's see the following:- Appointments of curates and assistant curates, 1795-1844, 1815-1835. (Ref GB127.M39)Article with photos. 'Old St. Paul's Church, Turner St.,Manchester' in the manuscript magazine of St. Paul's Literary and Educational Society, 1882. (Ref GB127.M38)Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation papers, 1846, include A Report of the State of the Sunday Schools Belonging to St. Paul's church, 1848, newspaper cutting appealing for funds for Turner St., Bennett St. and German St. Sunday School and notes on their finances 1845; engraving of Bennett St. Sunday School, n.d.; 29th Report of the Sick and Funeral Soc. of Bennett St. Sunday School, 1843; Report of German St. Sick and Funeral Soc., 1845; German St. Sunday School Branch Missionary Assoc. Report, 1846; engraving of John Young, Visitor of German St. Sunday School (died 1843). MS f 942.72 R121 vol. 38St. Paul's Literary and Educational Society, founded 1843 as Bennett St. Sunday School Mutual Improvement Class, minutes, manuscript magazine etc., 1843-1962. M38/Bennett St. Sunday School, attendance registers, minutes and Sick Societies' records, 1807-1966. Ref GB127. M103/For other records of St. Michael's see the following:- Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation Papers (MSf 942.72 R121 vol.37), which include Visitation Return, 20 Feb. 1846 Catalogue of Books Belonging to the Library St. Michael's Sunday School, 1843, Records of Churchwardens' balance sheet, Aug. - Dec. 1845, notes on schools in the District, 1846, cutting from Manchester Guardian, 28 Dec. 1888. Report of Manchester and Salford Sanitary Association about graveyard, 1854. (M126/2/6/7)For other records of St. Thomas's see Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation Papers (MSf 942.72 R121 vol. 47) for Visitation Return, n.d., notice of ordination of Rev. James Burrows, 11 June 1847 and circular appealing for funds for Day and Sunday School, 1847.Place:/Ancoats/Manchester/Manchester/Lancashire/England
Title:
New Cross, St. Paul, with Red Bank, St. Michael And St. Thomas, Manchester.
Date of work:
1765-1976
Reference number:
GB127.M330
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
The united parish was formed by Order in Council, 7 May 1929 (London Gazette, 10 May 1929) from the three separate parishes of St. Paul's, St. Michael's and St. Thomas's. It was dissolved and united with the parish of Manchester by Order in Council, 25 July 1978, (London Gazette, 28 July). ST. PAUL'S, NEW CROSS The church was consecrated on 28 July 1765, but was not assigned a District until 14 Sept. 1838 (London Gazette, 29 Mar. 1839). The boundaries were altered, 22 May 1856 (London Gazette, 1 July 1856.) By Order in Council, 7 May 1929, (London Gazette, 10 May 1929) the parishes of St. Michael's, Angel Meadow, and St. Thomas's, Red Bank, were united with St. Paul's under the name of St. Paul, New Cross, with St. Michael and St. Thomas, Red Bank. In 1978 the parish was dissolved and added to the parish of Manchester, by Order in Council, 25 July (London Gazette, 28 July 1978). ST. MICHAEL'S, ANGEL MEADOW St. Michael's was built by Rev. Humphrey Owen and consecrated on 23 July 1789. A District was assigned to it, 14 Sept. 1838 (London Gazette, 29 Mar. 1839), with some alterations, 12 June 1856 (London Gazette, 1 July 1856). Along with St. Thomas's, Red Bank, it was united with St. Paul's, 7 May 1929, (London Gazette, 10 May 1929) as the parish of St. Paul, New Cross, with St. Michael and St. Thomas, Red Bank, but this united parish was dissolved and transferred to the parish of Manchester by Order in Council, 25 July 1978 (London Gazette, 28 July 1978). The church was demolished in 1932. ST. THOMAS'S, RED BANK St. Thomas's was consecrated on 13 May 1844 and a District assigned, 25 June 1844. By Order in Council, 7 May 1929, (London Gazette, 10 May 1929), along with St. Michael's, Angel Meadow, the parish was united with St. Paul's under the title of St. Paul, New Cross with St. Michael and St. Thomas, Red Bank. The parish was dissolved, 25 July 1978 (London Gazette, 28 July 1978) and added to the parish of Manchester.
Source:
The records were transferred to the Library, as Diocesan Record Office, by the Dean and Chapter of Manchester Cathedral in Mar. 1979.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7193580
Find it!
0