Skip to main content
Photographs Related To The Brickworks At Pott Shrigley
Photographs Related To The Brickworks At Pott Shrigley
Hammond, Colin, fl 1978, of North Macclesfield 1949-1951
Find it!
Photographs Related To The Brickworks At Pott Shrigley
Date of work:
Reference number:
Level of description:
Custodial history:
The brickworks at Pott Shrigley have been operating since 1848, and have always been either fully or partly controlled by the Hammond family. At one time they employed 180 men, all local. William Hammond, the donor's great grandfather, was the founder member of the firm. All the bricks made were firebricks, used in industry and railways, and were mainly exported. The coal for the bricks was mined on the premises in two mines. All the bricks were hand-made until the 1950's when a simple machine was installed to mould the standard size bricks. However, all other sizes and qualities were still made by hand. In 1966, however, with greatly decreased demand the firm stopped making bricks and to date has concentrated on dyestuffs and other chemicals. Much of the premises is now sub-let. These photographs of the site was taken in the late 1940's and early 1950's and represent the premises as they were between c.1932 and 1956. In that last year extensive modifications were carried out.
Use restrictions:
Record types:
Record number:
Find it!