Skip to main content
Hulme, St. George
Hulme, St. George
1828-1983
Archives
Find it!
Records of the Incumbent including Baptism Registers 1828-1983 [The baptism registers are unusual is giving the mother's maiden name and from 1837 to 1936 the place and date of marriage of the parents]; Marriage Registers 1837-1981; Burial Registers 1829-1920; Banns Books 1926-1981; Confirmation Registers 1873-1877; Service Sheets 1903-1983; Building of the church 1828-1829Records of the Churchwardens including Accounts 1936-1948, 1969-1983; Offertories 1871-1908, 1922-1938, 1947, 1967; Correspondence re church restoration 1907-1910, 1939-1941; Church Repairs 1960s; Bank pass books 1939-1983Records of the vestry and Parochial Church Council including vestry minutes 1829-1882, 1919-1982; Parochial Church Council Minutes 1933-1958, 1966-1983; PCC Attendance Registers 1920-1945, 1970-1978; Standing Committee Minutes 1963-1968, 1971-1972; Church Officers and Members 1944-1963Records of Societies including Guild of St. George 1878-1880; Mens Bible Class Accounts 1926-1941 and Attendance Register 1928-1940Records of the Sunday School including Accounts 1859-1875Records of the Day School including Managers' Out-Letters 1936-1940; Managers Minutes and Correspondence 1960s;Related Material:The Library also has Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation papers for St. George's (MSf 942.72 R121 vol. 45) which include the Visitation Returns for the church and school, 4 May 1846, Report and Rules of St. George's School Sick and Funeral Society' 1846, letters between Archdeacon Rushton, Rev. W. Whitelegge and the Bishop of Manchester about alleged 'popish emblems' in the church, 1851, and newspaper cuttings re. proceedings, 1855, against Rev. Whitelegge for ignoring the Order in Council of 25 May 1855, which forbade the burial of more than one person per grave. See also MISC/1037.Place:/Hulme/Lancashire/England
Title:
Hulme, St. George
Date of work:
1828-1983
Reference number:
GB127.M383
Level of description:
Fonds
Custodial history:
St. George's was built by the Commissioners for Building New Churches on land donated by Wilbraham Egerton of Tatton Park, esq. The foundation stone was laid on 7 September 1826. It was consecrated on 9th December 1828, but was not assigned a District until 23 March 1831 (London Gazette, 21 June 1836). The continued growth in population led to other churches being built and Districts assigned to them from St. George's parish - St. Mark's, (Order in Council, 27 August, London Gazette, 22 September 1846), Holy Trinity (0. in C., 8 June, L.G, 16 June 185k), St. Paul's (0. in C., 31 July, L.G. 13 August 1858), St. Mary's (0. in C., 29 November, L.G. 2 December 1859), St. John the Baptist (0. in C., 29 November, L.G. 2 December 1859), St. Michael's (0. in C., 27 August, L.G. 30 August 1864), St. Gabriel's, (0. in C., 7 August, L.G. 10 August 1869) and St. Stephen's (0. in C., 18 May, L.G. 20 May 1870). By Order in Council, 23 June 1982 (London Gazette, 29 June) St. George's parish was united with the parish of the Ascension, Hulme, (which consisted of the above former Hulme parishes, St. Philip's, Hulme and All Saints, Chorlton upon Medlock) St. George's ceased to be used as a church, its last service being held on 3 April 1983.
Source:
The records were deposited in the Library as Diocesan Record Office in 1980, 1983 and 1984.
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Record types:
COLLECTION
Language:
English
Record number:
7194347
Find it!
0